How to become a MASC Artist
Are you a professional artist with experience bringing the arts to young audiences and interested in becoming a MASC Artist?
We welcome applications from Professional Artists from all cultural backgrounds, which meet all the following criteria:
- Having specialized training in the field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
- Being recognized as such by peers (professional artists working in the same artistic tradition)
- Having a history of public presentation or publication
In addition, the following points are considered:
- Level of excellence in the artist’s creative discipline and a commitment to arts education.
- Genuine interest in sharing knowledge and experience with young people. Organization and communication skills are necessary to pass along creative energies and passions.
- Artists working out of diverse ethno-cultural heritages are particularly important to the program.
- The perceived needs of schools must be taken into consideration but it is important to the creative growth of students, teachers and artists to offer new challenges and unexpected artistic experiences as well.
- MASC strives to attain variety and balance within the disciplines.
If you meet the above criteria, please send MASC the following information:
- Your artistic resume and examples of your professional work
- An outline of the program(s) you would like to offer to intended audiences
- Two letters of reference attesting to your work with intended audiences
Only artists that may fit within the MASC programs will be contacted for further information and discussion about their submission.
- Submit your application to Program Directors, Wendy Hartley wendyhartley @ masconline.ca (remove spaces in this address when emailing) or Catherine Sirois catherinesirois@ masconline.ca (remove spaces in this address when emailing).
- Applications are accepted on an on-going basis. Program decisions are finalized by February, for the following school year. Applications submitted after February 28th will be considered for the next school year.
- If MASC is interested in the program that you offer, we will contact you to set up a meeting to discuss it further.
- Following the meeting, if MASC and the artist wish to pursue the contact, an audition workshop or performance will be organized in a school setting. MASC will arrange the presentation and it will be offered free of charge to a school serving high need communities. The artists will receive no fee for this audition.
- The teachers, students and MASC staff will evaluate the presentation. Teachers are asked to give written feedback.
- MASC will decide, based on quality and salability, whether the artist will be invited to join the MASC program and be featured in the MASC catalogue of artists for the next year.
- To join the MASC program, artists will require proof of vulnerable sector screening